Do Forklift Licenses Expire?
Forklift licenses expire after three years.
Until you renew your forklift license, you cannot use heavy machinery.
You may also require a refresher or additional training if you are using a newer forklift model.
Furthermore, operating a forklift with an expired license puts you in danger of injury or legal trouble.
To avoid this, we’ve created a guide on forklift license expiry. The topics covered include what causes license expiration, how to renew it, and how to enroll in specialized B2B forklift training programs.
Factors That Influence the Expiry of a Forklift License
In addition to the 3-year term, an operator may need to renew their license for various reasons.
1. There Is a New Forklift Model Available
A more recent forklift model or upgrade in class can include updated features that call for more training to use it properly.
The new features may also include enhanced controls, new software or technologies, and modifications to the operating system.
You might need to enroll in a new training program to prove that you can operate the forklift’s more recent model before you can operate one properly.
And if you do not receive the necessary training, a regulatory agency like the Ministry of Labour (MOL) may revoke or suspend your license.
2. Accident in Your Workplace
Accidents in a workplace have a way of shaking things up.
In an accident involving large machinery, like a forklift, the regulating authority must determine whether the operator or the machinery was at fault.
Meanwhile, the regulatory agency will suspend the operator’s license until they complete the investigation.
If the investigation discovers the operator caused the accident, they must complete further training to demonstrate their forklift operating skills.
Until then, the forklift license remains suspended.
3. Previous Training Was Ineffective
As an operator continues to use a forklift, how they do so may raise questions about their competency and training.
For example, when operating a forklift, the following scenarios may arise regarding the driver’s competence:
- Causes accidents, close misses, or damage to other equipment regularly.
- Violates safety regulations or procedures, such as ignoring warning signals or failing to wear required safety equipment.
- Not knowing how to load and unload the forklift or inspect the machinery properly.
These situations might lead to the forklift operator getting suspended and their license revoked until they can go through training again.
Renewal of Forklift License
To renew your forklift license in Canada, you must be familiar with the most current safety requirements issued by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
Then, follow these steps:
- Check the expiry date if your license is not cancelled or suspended.
- Search for a course that follows CSA guidelines.
- Enroll in a course designed specifically for the forklift class you’ll be using. There are seven classes of forklifts, as shown in the table below.
|Class||Design||Fuel Type||Intended Use|
|1||Electric Motor Rider Trucks||Electric||Designed for use on smooth surfaces|
|2||Electric Motor Narrow Aisle Trucks||Electric||Tight, narrow spaces|
|3||Electric Motor Hand Trucks or Hand/Rider Trucks||Electric||Narrow Spaces|
|4||Internal Combustion Engine Trucks – Cushion Tires||Gasoline, Diesel, LP Gas||Indoor use on smooth surfaces|
|5||Internal Combustion Engine Trucks – Pneumatic Tires||Gasoline, Diesel, LP Gas||Indoor, outdoor use on uneven terrain|
|6||Electric and Internal Combustion Engine Tractors||Electric or Gasoline, Diesel, LP Gas||Heavy-duty environments|
|7||Rough Terrain Forklift Trucks||Gasoline, Diesel||Outdoor use on rough terrain|
- Participate in all parts of the training course, including the lecture and practical part.
- Take the required exams and pass them. The written exam will test your forklift safety, operation, and maintenance knowledge. The practical exam will assess your ability to operate a forklift safely and effectively.
- Obtain your renewed license. You will receive a renewed forklift license if you pass the written and practical exams. The license will indicate the date of renewal and the expiration date.
Enroll in Specialized B2B Forklift Training Programs
When running a firm that uses heavy machinery such as forklifts, having peace of mind knowing your operators are properly trained can help you stay within budget.
Therefore, you should invest in our specialized B2B forklift training program.
At Clockwork Safety and Equipment Training, we offer training programs specifically for forklift operators in a business-to-business (B2B) context.
We tailor our training materials to the various forklift models used in your warehouse and the duties assigned to your team.
Our training sessions cover all facets of forklift operation in our training sessions, from loading and unloading cargo to navigating confined spaces.
Contact us to set up a training session and invest in the safety and efficiency of your team, and you’ll see the impact it makes on your operations.